WHO WE ARE
History of East Belmont Church of God
East Belmont Church of God
A brief history
In 1919 the church organized and received its charter form the state headquarters. There were eight charter members and they called the church "Belmont Church of God".
The church was located at the end of South Eighth Street near the railroad tracks. Brother John McCarn was the pastor. He and the church members built a 20 x 30 feet building with a sawdust floor. This humble little church did not look like much on the outside, but God was inside. The congregation would stand around the organ, singing their hymns, and God would pour out His Spirit. The blessings the Lord bestowed upon this. church became known throughout the community. Today God continues to bless and pour out His Spirit upon His Church.
In 1925 Brother William Stallings scheduled a revival with Brothers T. J. Looney and Will Messer. The Lord blessed the church with thirty-nine new members from this revival. This doubled the church's membership, and our little church was too small to worship in. The following year, 1926, the church purchased property on East Catawba Street and made plans to build a new and larger church. The Lord continued to bless the church. The church grew and was the largest in the state.
In 1940 Brother A. V. Childers built a new church at 315 Church Street. The church is 48 x 70 feet and in each cornerstone there is a Bible. This church was not just founded on His Word; it was built on the Word of God also. This new church was the East Belmont Church of God.
In 1950, under the direction of Brother Ogden, a new parsonage was built next to the church.
In 1954 under the direction of Brother B. F. Darnell, Sunday School
attendance soared. One Sunday there was 840 attending. There was a contest going on and Brother Darnell gave away a pony. Sister Darnell would work and raise money for the church missions. Brother Darnell had the front of the church remodeled while he was pastor. Property next door to the church was purchased in 1965 and now there is a parking lot.
After several more years, new pastors, more growth, and most of all God's blessings, land was purchased on Catawba Street. We broke ground for our new church June 21, 1992 and moved into the church December 19, 1993. Just like with the previous church, there are four Bibles anointed with oil placed in the four corners of the building. A cross is placed in the center of the building. Our church would be built on the Word with Jesus the center of it.
To God Be the Glory!!! East Belmont Church of God— The Church God is Building
Our church has been blessed with men of God whose desire was to obey the Holy Spirit, preach the Word, win the lost, and lead the congregation into a closer and personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Our current pastor, Rev. Danny Peterson and his wife Tina, share the same desire and a greater vision for the church. We are excited about what God is doing and going to do.
*Thanks to Brother Hosea Garrison, Bible Scholar, Teacher, and Church Historian for documenting the church history. Brother Garrison has gone on to be with the Lord.
Submitted by Hosea Garrison; Bible Scholar, Teacher and Church Historian